Agribusiness Ideas in crop protection and animal health management
Plant and animal plagues and diseases affect farmers yields in terms of saleability and quantities each year. Sometimes, pests lead to huge post-harvest losses after harvest. smallholder farmers are most vulnerable suffering these losses each year repeatedly making them pooer. The major reasons for this are:
- Farmer’s inadequate ability, skills and tools for diagnosis, treatment and control of those outbreaks.
- Access challenges since input suppliers and distributors operate in urban areas far from rural consumers.
- Limited knowledge on usage and handling of products given the poor state of extension services in Kenya
- It’s expensive to manage epidemics and pests and which increases farmer’s cost of production.
Individuals, groups and businesses can venture into crop and pet care business and make money through following ideas;
Distribute Farm Chemicals
Run an agro-dealer shop or venture that distributes plant and pet health products. Examples of such a business include:
- A rural stockist of farm chemicals and animal health products near growers.
- An accredited Distributor or distribution agent running a wholesale or retail farm shop
- A mobile Agro-store that distributes agrochemicals from place to place using a truck, van or motorbike.
Design your firm to go beyond the sale of chemicals. Strive to create value by offering customer care, product usage information and diagnosis, etc. To achieve this, combine technical know-how and strong business management skills. This will make business continuity through profitability, relationship building and professional management.
Offer safe spray services.
There is a growing issue on product safety and health of foods. Various factors have contributed to this such as; Over-application of toxic farm chemicals leading to high residues of chemicals and antibiotics in plant and animal foods above the maximum residue levels. Mishandling of chemicals where users and sprayers do not use protective equipment such as gumboots, gloves, goggles and overalls. Use of counterfeit, expired and unapproved or banned chemicals poising threat to human health.
Become a registered spraying service provider business that provides professional spraying services. Diversify your operations in the following ways.
- Spray livestock, dusting rabbits and disinfect poultry houses and vaccinate animals
- Fumigation of residences from cockroaches, bedbugs and snakes.
- Diagnose plant and animal infections and diseases make sure the proper usage of chemicals.
- Distribute agrochemicals to farms
- Lease spraying equipment such as motorized sprayers, Knapsack sprayers, and personal protective gears
Manage programs in Crop and animal health protection
Knowledgeable individuals can make profitable businesses, implementing agricultural protection programs as advisors, administrators, extension specialists or trainers. These programs will seek to equip small-scale producers in know-how, experience and equipment for diagnosing, treatment and control of infections and diseases. There are various modes of implementation that include:
- Make training materials for sale.
- Run an advisory and consultancy businesses.
- Offer training and workshops for a fee.
Research and Development
Building awareness and analysis in farm and animal is important. This will improve the efficacy of agrochemicals and lower production costs in the long run. As new threats such as climate change and drug resistance affect agriculture, we need newer ways of combating pests and diseases. The interesting areas are;
- Climate change droughts and floods have many negative effects. This makes pests diseases to spread faster and attack new territorial areas they did not affect.
- Resistance, existing medication from existing active molecules and drugs in the market makes it harder to treat diseases and pests in crops and animals
- Integrated pest management (IPM) and biological pest control measures.
Research into these challenges will help in the preparedness of fighting them. Researching and dissemination of these findings are a profitable business worth pursuing those people possessing agronomic expertise, research skills and better presentation skills. One can give digital media for sale or offer through an engaging website attracting subscription fees.
offer Consulting and advisory services.
Most farm managers have inadequate information on where to source, how to use and when to use pest control products. Business ideas exist in filling the extension services gap by sourcing, stocking and dissemination of this information, products and services. They can run this as an information resource centre. Offer information in the form of YouTube videos, podcasts, Pdf books and print media or offered in oral presentations, training etc. information shared include information on:
- Affordable Personal Protection equipment.
- Transport and storage of agrochemicals
- Disposal of empty equipment,
- Right application times and rates
- Diagnosis of pests and diseases
- Illegal products: counterfeit Product
- Alternative pest control products (IPM)
Sell Greenhouses and insect control nets
Protected agriculture promotes methods of protecting plants from Insects, birds, rain and winds. this is through minimizing or completely eliminating contact between plants and insects or bird pests. Common methods include use of greenhouses and cast nets (look like fishing nets for birds) and insect nets (similar to mosquito nets) offer avenues for profitable business setups.
On animal husbandry, it promotes shelter and fencing to secure animals from extreme weather and predators.
- Supply of green and net houses equipment’s such as metal frames, glass and fabrics.
- Setting up of crop and animal shelters.
- Maintenance and repair of green and net houses.